Greenway Plaza, Houston, TX
Published 27 days ago - Sep 30, 2021
Energy Ogre is a technology company in the energy industry that helps Texans manage their electricity. We shop, we manage, they save! We are a weird fun unique pack of Ogres in search of a Data Engineer.
The best candidate will have a technical background – with an interest in analytics and a focus on implementation. We will also consider analysts and applied mathematicians, with a strong desire to learn technical skills. We are willing to teach given the right candidate.
If newly graduating, we will look for dedicated coursework in database normalization, linear algebra, algorithms and complexity theory (or the equivalent). Preference is given to candidates familiar with the existing stack (MSSQL, Redshift, AWS, C#) or similar technologies.
Applicants should want to work on structured, well-formed databases – with an understanding that it may not always be possible, but to strive towards that ideal. Further, all candidates must be willing to do the work to maintain, grow, and refactor that environment.
As a data engineer your primary responsibilities will be to amass, analyze and model data. Initially, you will be given ETL tasks, and once proven, given more long-term projects (models, migrations, etc.). Most of your work will be independent projects (which you are given ownership), collaborating with a small team, and guided by a mentor, as necessary.
If this sounds like something that might interest you, we want to hear from you.
What you'll bring
- Data-driven approach
- Focus on implementation
- Some experience with relational databases and warehousing (Transact-SQL, Postgres, Redshift, etc.)
- Exposure to Data Lakes, Cloud-based or Distributed Storage (S3, Azure, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree applied math field, or equivalent experience
Benefits for you
- Medical and dental benefits;
- 401(k) with 100% match up to 5%;
- Relocation assistance;
- Paid time off, remote time, and parental leave;
- Friendly work environment;
- Movie nights and fun company events;
- On site gym and gourmet deli;
- A kitchen stocked with free sodas, snacks, and good coffee;
- An ergonomic workspace with a sit/stand desk, should you want one;
- Latest software development tools in the market;